Anyone is capable of going into business, but it takes a whole team of professionals to make it grow.
If you're interested in knowing more about business studies, then this guide is perfect for you. Here, you will find out about the branches of business and management studies and other important information that can help you decide on whether to study this course or not.
Top 10 universities for Business and Management studies in Malaysia
These private universities are rated five to six stars in Malaysia’s national ranking system, SETARA, which means they rank as either Outstanding or Excellent institutions. Let’s briefly go through them, and some of the business programmes they have.
Bachelor of Business and Commerce
Annual tuition fee: RM 38,213
Bachelor of Business Administration
Annual tuition fee: RM 22,400
Bachelor of Business (Management and Digital Media)
Annual tuition fee: RM 25,680
Bachelor of International Business Management
Annual tuition fee: RM 39,700
Bachelor of Business Economics (Hons)
Annual tuition fee: RM 18,000
Bachelor of International Business
Annual tuition fee: RM 40,000 - RM 45,000
BSc (Hons) Business Studies
Annual tuition fee: RM 26,000
BA (Hons) Business Administration
Annual tuition fee: RM18,940 - RM 22,210
Bachelor of Business (Hons)
Annual tuition fee: RM 35,216
Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons)
Annual tuition fee: RM 14,816
You also get to choose other fields of study or pursue a joint degree alongside business management majors such as event management, international business, logistics and more.
If you are interested in accounting or finance course, you may refer to this guide.
Bonus: Top public universities in Malaysia offering business studies with QS rankings
The 6 universities from this list are acknowledged as some of the best in the world for this field by the QS World University Rankings. Bear in mind that your admission to these universities will be determined by your UPU application.
- Universiti Malaya
- Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
- Universiti Putra Malaysia
- Universiti Teknologi MARA
- Universiti Utara Malaysia
We can't miss out the country’s best-ranking university on this list – Universiti Malaya (UM)! UM is the only Malaysian university to be included in the Top 100 of the QS 2022 list for business and management, ranking alongside institutions such as USA’s Princeton University, UK’s Lancaster University, Australia’s RMIT University and many other great ones worldwide.
- Bachelor of Business Administration (estimated fees: RM 8,200)
- Master of Business Administration (estimated fees: RM 28,400)
Universiti Sains Malaysia
Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) follows closely in rank, being among the Top 200 globally in the QS rankings. USM offers both undergraduate and postgraduate courses under its School of Management, where students can specialise in areas such as finance, marketing, operations management, organisational behaviour or international business.
- Bachelor of Management (estimated fees: RM 4,400)
- Master of Arts, Management (estimated fees: RM 6,800 – RM 20,400 depending on duration of study)
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM) combines the fields of economics, business management and accounting under its Faculty of Economics and Management. The faculty has four centres focused on inclusive and sustainable development, governance resilience and accountability, value creation and human well-being, as well as a global business and the digital economy.
- Bachelor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation (estimated fees: RM 6,540)
- Bachelor of Business Management (estimated fees: RM 6,540)
Universiti Putra Malaysia
Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) is another strong institution in this field. In addition to the university’s full-time programmes, UPM also offers an executive programme as an option for those who are already working but wish to study part-time. Another highlight is that UPM is the first university in Malaysia to earn AACSB accreditation, which is a big plus point for any business organisation.
- Bachelor of Business Administration (estimated fees: RM 6,000)
- Executive programme, Bachelor of Business Administration (estimated fees: RM 2,250)
Universiti Teknologi MARA
Universiti Teknologi MARA’s (UiTM) undergraduate programmes are offered in 4 departments under the Faculty of Business and Management so that students can specialise in different areas of their choosing. These areas range from insurance and entrepreneurship to health administration and operations management. The Faculty has also received numerous awards for their banking and insurance, as well as retail programmes.
- Diploma in Business Studies (estimated fees: RM 4,000)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (Hons) International Business (estimated fees: RM 5,000)
Universiti Utara Malaysia
Universiti Utara Malaysia (UUM) provides programmes from diploma to the doctorate level. The university’s School of Business Management (SBM) is also very active, arranging events such as international conferences and talks by professors.
- Bachelor of Entrepreneurship with Honours (estimated fees: RM 4,000 - RM 5,000)
What are the entry requirements?
The average entry requirements in most places are stated below:
Foundation / Matriculation
- SPM: Pass with 5 credits in Bahasa Melayu, English, Mathematics and other two equivalent subjects / CGPA 2.00.
- O Level: Pass with 5 credits including in English.
- SPM: Pass with 3 credits in Bahasa Melayu and other equivalent subjects.
- STPM: Pass with 2 credits or CGPA 2.00.
- SPM: Pass with 3 credits in any equivalent subjects.
- Pre-university education or diploma in a related area with CGPA of 3.00 or above, credit in English at SPM level or its equivalent.
How long is the duration of study?
The duration of study in Malaysia for foundation, diploma and bachelor’s degree are usually the same among the institutions. The duration may differ according to your study mode and type of course.
The average duration of study for business and management qualifications are as follows:
Foundation - 1 year
Diploma - 2 - 3 years
Bachelor’s Degree - 3 - 4 years
For your information, fast-track degree programmes are offered in some universities allowing you to finish the degree in a shorter period. Universiti Teknologi MARA, for example, lessens the credit hours for your degree course as an alternative to shorten the duration of study; by having most of the credit hours covered during diploma.
What are the main subjects in Business & Management courses
Since business studies have many branches, the elective subjects change with your course choice but the core disciplines are still compulsory to enhance your skills and develop your business knowledge. Some of the core subjects are:
Fundamental of Business
Introduction to Marketing
Human Resource Management
What are the necessary skills for the business field?
Entrepreneurs are the owners of businesses they create to gain profits from selling products, providing services or doing trades.
On the other hand, a businessman is a market player who starts a business based on a common concept. Here is a list of the necessary skills required in the business field:
- Optimism – A good employer/employee sees failures as opportunities which can be worked on and solved, as being optimistic guides them to focus on the initial plan and reach for goals.
- Self-discipline – There are many benefits of having self-discipline especially in maintaining businesses in the long run. By showing persistence through difficulties, you can retain a business and expand it globally.
- Creativity – Creativity is the essence of problem-solving skills. Every stage in business requires creativity in brainstorming ideas, planning strategies and establishing a business entity.
- Leadership – A great leader must be able to admit mistakes, show the best examples and inspire others to reach for organizational goals. Having a good moral compass also builds trust between the employer and employees and gives room for improvement.
- Empathy - Humanity means nothing without empathy. Apart from striving for personal goals, an entrepreneur should be capable of helping employees reach for their goals and eventually contribute to a healthy workplace environment.
Career prospects in Business & Management field
There are many job opportunities in the business and management field as the number of businesses is increasing especially in this world of online shopping and e-commerce.
Either working for others or on your own, you can create opportunities depending on your skills. You can find the job descriptions for some careers and salaries based on PayScale below.
The financial operations of a business are taken care of by accountants and also auditors. They work on enhancing revenues, maintaining financial records and computing taxes.
Estimated yearly income: RM 26,382
The product or service of business needs a sales executive to reach its potential customers. Sales executives are behind the closed sales, identification of new markets and evaluation of market needs.
Estimated yearly income: RM 35,876
Event managers are responsible to ensure successful organisation of events from start to finish, which includes negotiating contracts and collaborating with clients to fulfil their expectations.
Estimated yearly income: RM 39,479
Some companies supply products instead of services, so logistics managers are needed to coordinate the distribution of purchases, control the shipping and receiving departments and training personnel.
Estimated yearly income: RM 51,000
Marketing is important to make products and services known to people and most importantly, potential customers. Marketing executives and managers are tasked to plan budgets, lead the team and find marketing methods for the specific product.
Estimated yearly income: RM 57,519
Business consultants' duties are based on a contract basis to give advice to new or developing businesses. If you are interested to be one, you also need to be ready to provide expertise in the development and performance of businesses.
Estimated yearly income: RM 36,000
Human Resources & Admin Executive
Some of the human resources and admin executive responsibilities are to conduct interviews, recruit employments and control the matters of employers' and employees' rights that include ensuring their salary payments are made on schedule and managing disciplinary, absence and more.
Estimated yearly income: RM 36,000