Tunku Abdul Rahman University of Management and Technology (TAR UMT)
Kuala Lumpur, WP Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Ready to apply? Start here.
|# 1||SETARA 2020|
|Student population||Large (More than 10,000)|
About Tunku Abdul Rahman University of Management and Technology (TAR UMT)
Tunku Abdul Rahman University of Management and Technology (TAR UMT) is a premier educational institution with 50 years of excellence in providing quality and affordable education. Known then as Tunku Abdul Rahman College (TAR College) since its inception in 1969, the institution had been upgraded to University College in 2013. With the upgrading, TAR UMT is able to offer Bachelor degree and Postgraduate programmes.
Today, TAR UMT has a thriving student population of 28,000 pursuing more than 150 programmes of studies in a wide spectrum of disciplines at six campuses in Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Johor, Perak, Pahang and Sabah. The Kuala Lumpur Main Campus is located at Jalan Genting Kelang, Setapak and sprawls across an area of 186 acres.
TAR UMT is supported by seven faculties in the delivery of undergraduate degree programmes, namely the Faculty of Applied Sciences (FOAS), Faculty of Computing and Information Technology (FOCS), Faculty of Accountancy, Finance and Business (FAFB), Faculty of Engineering and Technology (FOET), Faculty of Built Environment (FOBE), Faculty of Communication and Creative Industries (FCCI) and Faculty of Social Science and Humanities (FSSH). There is also the Centre for Pre-University Studies and our latest Centre, the Centre for Postgraduate Studies and Research which offers a variety of Masters and PhD programmes.
As an institution that is well-regarded by the industries for its high academic standards and well-trained graduates, TAR UMT counts some of the national leaders, successful entrepreneurs and professionals among its 200,000 alumni.
For admission requirements and intakes for each individual course/programme please refer to course details.
Courses available 109
- 10Accounting & Finance
- 1Agriculture Studies
- 12Applied, Pure Sciences
- 8Architecture, Building
- 30Business, Management
- 23Computer Science, IT
- 23Creative Arts & Design
- 3Education and Teaching
- 15English Language
- 2Health and Medicine
- 9Hotel Management & Hospitality
- 17Humanities & Social Sciences
- 21Mass Communication & Media
- 3Sports Science
Tuition and application fees
RM 10,000 - RM 100,000 per year
Estimated tuition fees as reported by the institution.
|Application fee (local students)||RM 100|
|Application fee (international students)||RM 600|
|Student visa fee (international students)||RM 2,400|
RM 1,500 per month
Average living cost in Malaysia
The amount is indicated taking into account the average cost of food, accommodation, etc in Malaysia for 2023
The University has a 10-blocks of 5-storey hostel accommodation located within the campus. The hostel accommodation is on twin-sharing basis and equipped with beds, wardrobes, study tables and chairs. Facilities available are air-conditioned study rooms with internet service, convenience & stationery shop, cafeteria, launderette, water dispensers, ATM, public telephones and parking facilities for vehicles. There is also a 24-hour security service.
Alternatively, the University also provides Off-Campus accommodation with the brand new student residence being available at Danau Kota, just 3km from the KL Main Campus. Teratai Residency is a 28-storey building comprising of 448 units with choice of air-conditioned/non air-conditioned rooms in each unit. Facilities in Teratai Residency includes gym, swimming pool, multi-purpose hall, barbecue pit, cafeterias, study rooms, convenience store & stationery shop, Surau, water dispensers and launderette.
Any international students who are interested in the on-campus hostel accommodation are required to complete and send the Hostel Application Form to the International Student Office as soon as possible, as the hostel rooms are allocated on a first-come-first-served basis.
International students who are interested to stay off-campus will be able to select an accommodation suitable to their needs from a variety of off-campus accommodation in nearby housing areas within the vicinity of the University College. There are apartments, condominiums and houses available for rent.
TAR UMT Kuala Lumpur Main Campus, located at Jalan Genting Kelang, Setapak, sprawls across an area of 186 acres. Marrying nature with modernity, the flagship campus affords students the lush greenery enhanced by gazebos, pergola and landscaped parks, as well as state-of-the-art facilities that promote an inspiring and unique learning experience.
Here’s a list of facilities which can be found at TAR UMT KL Main Campus:
- Badminton Court
- Basketball Court
- Computer Lab
- Football Field
- Futsal Court
- Lecture Hall
- Olympic Sized Swimming Pool
- Public Transport
- Roof-top Tennis Court
- Seminar Rooms
- Student Accommodation
- Sport Complex
- Sports Field
- Vending Machines
- TAR UMT Incubator
The Kuala Lumpur Main Campus is located at Jalan Genting Kelang, Setapak. It is about 8km from the city of Kuala Lumpur. Occupying an area of 186 acres, the campus design and environment are very conducive for study and for relaxation. The undulating and hilly nature of the campus consisting of multi-level grounds has been preserved to blend with the natural surroundings.
Commuting is similarly convenient with public transport like Light Rail Transit (LRT), highways and middle-ring roads providing easy accessibility to the campus. Major shopping complexes like Jaya Jusco, Carrefour, Giant, Wangsa Walk, KL Festival City and places of interest like the National Zoo, Batu Caves, Royal Selangor Pewter and Lake Titiwangsa are within the vicinity. The local area also has much to offer with the variety of Chinese, Malay, Indian, Thai and Western food.
Large (More than 10,000)
|International students||Contact the university / college|
PENANG BRANCH CAMPUS
77, Lorong Lembah Permai Tiga,
11200 Tanjong Bungah,
Pulau Pinang, Malaysia.
Tel: (6)04-8995230 Fax: (6)04-8998219
PERAK BRANCH CAMPUS
Jalan Kolej, Taman Bandar Baru,
31900 Kampar, Perak, Malaysia.
Tel: (6)05-4660388, 4668012/3
JOHOR BRANCH CAMPUS
Jalan Segamat / Labis
85000 Segamat, Johor, Malaysia.
Tel: (6)07-9270801/3 Fax: (6)07-9270802
PAHANG BRANCH CAMPUS
P37, Jalan Bayu 1,
Taman Seri Bayu,
28600 Karak, Pahang, Malaysia.
Tel: (6)09-5738171/2/3 Fax: (6)09-573 8100
SABAH FACULTY BRANCH
Lot 1, Ground Floor,
Pusat Dagangan Donggongon,
89500 Jalan Sapau,
Tel: (6)088-718481,718482 Fax: (6)088-718486
The College Tour
- Lai Shi Xiang
- Studying A Level at TAR UC is one of the best decisions I have made in my life. It has equipped me with the knowledge and skills essential for my undergraduate study. I appreciate the fact that TAR UC has complete facilities especially the library which is full of relevant academic materials.
- Ong Si Qing
- TAR UC’s Foundation in Science programme is really academically challenging and I feel that it has a higher standard than equivalent programmes elsewhere. I would not have been able to cope if not for the fantastic lecturers at CPUS who are very dedicated and helpful, and ever willing to guide and assist us.
- Teng Yu Heng
- TAR UC’s Foundation in Science is an academically rigorous programme with a very comprehensive syllabus. I have really learned a lot from the foundation programme. CPUS lecturers are simply awesome as their lessons are very clear and they never hesitate to assist us.
- Ng Lai Kuan
- I am pleased to have pursued the Campbell University Dual Award degree programme at TAR UC. Not only have I acquired the necessary skills and knowledge but this prospects. At TAR UC, I learn to work as part of a team, to communicate effectively with others and to develop practical skills which prepared me for integration into the global community and workforce.
- Lim Zhi Khei
- The highly interactive and experiential sharing sessions during classes at Coventry University made the entire learning process lively and valuable. The robust learning environment and advanced facilities provided by Coventry University enabled me to develop my potential and ideas greatly. The professional and friendly lecturers always gave their best support to me academically. I was trained to think independently and creatively. The one semester study abroad option in Coventry University had given me an enriching learning experience.
- Beh Ming Cheat
- Sheffield is a fantastic city to live in and most of all a university city with students of diverse background. It was a very good experience for me to study in the UK under the Dual Award Programme. I met a lot of international students from different countries and learned about their cultures and beliefs. The course structure of the programme provided me with a solid grounding in the field and a good platform to enhance my global employability. I am pleased to have obtained First Class Honours at Sheffield Hallam University.
- Winson Soo Weng Shern
- A-Level at CPUS of Tunku Abdul Rahman University College had prepared me well for my bachelor degree programme at NTU. The lecturers at TAR UC are very experienced, amiable, and helpful. My A-Level lecturers had motivated me to develop a positive mindset towards my studies and had helped me to discover my passion. Besides, I enjoyed using the top-notch facilities in the laboratories and library. I would definitely recommend post-SPM students to pursue pre-university studies at TAR UC.
- Kong Jing How
- I achieved a First Class Honours Award in Graphic Design. The experience in this Dual Award was simply amazing as I experienced different style of learning and was exposed to innovative ideas. I also gained a lot from the students and tutors of University of Salford. At University of Salford, I was able to further my knowledge by learning additional technical skills and was exposed to how industry works overseas. It truly changed my way of thinking and broadened my perspective of work.
- Shareen Alvina - Bachelor of Communication (Hons) in Advertising
- The best part about studying in TAR UC all these years are the opportunities that have opened so many windows for me to discover my true potential. I love the processes that have come with it. The assiduously-structured syllabus and wholesome experience have allowed me to be exposed to a variety of different concepts, situations and perspectives that have shaped me to be the individual that I am today.
- Cheow Jia Jian - Bachelor of Information Technology (Hons) in Information Security
- Those 3 years of education in TAR UC have opened up many paths for me in my working life. Yes, to be good at what you do comes from your own effort and desire to achieve it. However, what I noticed after I graduated was the exposure, guidance and resources provided to me when I was studying this programme in TAR UC. This has definitely opened up a world of opportunities for me. The lecturers in our IT department are very resourceful. It was very important to me as I was at first hesitant to study in IT as this field is a niche field in Malaysia. However, with help from my lecturers, it stirred my interest to learn and self-motivate to achieve more, to be better at it. This has helped me to develop a positive attitude towards my studies. TAR UC has brought me to where I am today and the learning experiences I gained during my time there will forever remain with me.
- Keong Le-Onn - Mechanical Engineer, Daifuku Airport Technologies
- BEng (Hons) Mechanical - TAR UC (2018) Diploma in Technology (Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering) - TAR UC (2015) TAR UC is more than just a place to complete our tertiary education – it is where students learn to improve themselves and instill the value to contribute back to the society. I am thankful to have well-versed lecturers and tutors who have been very understanding and helpful in guiding my course mates and I throughout our diploma and undergraduate studies. Other than being a university college that provides affordable education for everyone, TAR UC is also well-equipped with all the necessary tools and equipment which helps in our learning process. For me, the most important part in learning is the journey I go through because by appreciating the process, we discover what goals are important for us to achieve. As a TARCian, I was able to appreciate my journey in learning and I believe everyone will be able to experience a meaningful journey here in TAR UC. Achievements / Testimonies 1. Merit Scholar, 2013-2018 3. President List holder, 2018/19 2. Book Prize winner, 2018/19 4. Best project award from IMechE Student Chaptern - 2018
- Khoo Khay Beng - Bachelor of Accounting (Hons)
- Studying in the Bachelor of Accounting (Hons) programme in TAR UC will forever be one of the greatest moments in my life. I have made great friends, experienced something more than just academic and learned more about myself and my passion. This programme is a diverse and enriching programme that has provided me with a plethora of knowledge from the various spectrum of accounting, audit and taxation. The knowledge gained helped me in developing my understanding and passion for accounting and prepared me to face the challenging working world. During my internship, I was amazed at how much I have learned and how it could be applied to real life working scenarios. I am most grateful towards the lecturers in TAR UC. They always gave their best and even provided us guidance for our external professional examinations. Like second parents, they cared about us and were willing to share with us their experience which helped me grow to become a much better person. It was a challenging four years, but the experience and results were worth it. I would highly encourage anyone to come to TAR UC and experience the student life here.
- Loh Zi Xuan - Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Sports and Exercise Science
- I deeply appreciate the opportunity to study the Diploma in Sport and Exercise Science programme, and also the Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Sports and Exercise Science programme at TAR UC. TAR UC sport science lecturers are helpful and knowledgeable. The sport lab facilities in TAR UC are also great. Taking the Dual Award Degree Programme with Campbell University has also helped me to develop my time management skills academically and personally. The dual award has also built my self-confidence to face future challenges.
- Yong Ee Ning - Bachelor of Science in Architecture (Hons) with Distinction
- My years in TAR UC were productive ones and they were definitely a good memory to be cherished. Architecture is a course that is intensive but fun. The most challenging thing as an architecture student was to keep up with the workload and be well-organized for each day. I find architecture is all about looking at problems from different perspectives. The design process involves investigation of the problems via trial and error until reaching the perfect solution. As a TARCian, the one thing I would like to share about is my learning experience in TAR UC was very much enriched by its beautiful green campus, good people, good learning environment and good facilities provided. Despite affordable tuition fees, the professional and experienced lecturers’ teachings had guided me to be better in handling difficulties and challenges, which is beyond both theoretical and practical knowledge covered in the syllabus. Thank you TAR UC.
- Vanice Tay Chia Ching - Bachelor of Tourism Management (Hons)
- I would like to take this opportunity to show my appreciation to TAR UC for a wonderful four-year higher education experience. TAR UC’s affordability and stellar track record in producing successful graduates was the reason I chose to further my studies here. Today, my decision proved to be the right one as I’ve graduated and currently building my career in the travel industry. I appreciate what all my lecturers did for me. They were helpful, dedicated, unwavering and always encouraging us to think outside the box. Through their support, I am now a better person, more confident and ready for bigger challenges in life. I believe TAR UC is the right place for anyone looking to further their studies and build a bright career towards a promising future. I am proud to be called a TARCian!