University of East London (UEL)
|Year established||Data not available|
|Campus setting||Data not available|
|Student population||Data not available|
|Nationalities||Data not available|
About University of East London (UEL)
The University of East London (UEL) is a vibrant, modern university with a highly diverse population of 19,000 students drawn from more than 120 nationalities. We stand for academic excellence, creative thinking and inspirational teaching.
We enjoy a superb location in east London, just a short train ride from the city centre. Our two campuses are in the rapidly evolving Royal Docks area and in nearby Stratford – famous for hosting the 2012 London Olympics and Paralympics. The area is one of Europe’s largest regeneration zones and a magnet for high-tech companies and arts organisations.
Why study at UEL?
- London is the world’s most popular international student city and is home to over 100,000 international students from 200 different nations
- You will gain an internationally recognised academic qualification that will help you find the rewarding career you’ve dreamed about – both in terms of fulfilment and earning power.
- We offer huge savings on tuition fees. International students can benefit from a scholarship of up to £4,000.
- Career-focused courses – We offer a broad range of highly practical courses, and our students get the opportunity to learn on real-life projects.
- International students benefit from a number of programmes that offer superb internship opportunities.
- The University offers world-class teaching and learning facilities. We have been ranked among the top universities in the UK for investment per student in facilities.
- We provide a free Samsung tablet device for all new undergraduates pre-loaded with core textbooks in e-book form.
- We are one of the leading modern universities in the UK for research. Sixty-two per cent of our research is officially rated ‘internationally excellent’ or ‘world-leading’ (REF 2014)
- We have high employability rates, with 87 per cent of our graduates are in work or study within six months of graduating.
- We are ranked first in London for our visa advice service (ISB 2013)
- Our SportsDock complex is so outstanding that Team USA chose us as their training base for the London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics.
- Our International Office offers a comprehensive induction programme to welcome new international students to UEL.
- We are ranked second in London for student satisfaction in Architecture, Civil Engineering and Psychology (NSSS 2014)
- We have a 100 per cent score for overall student satisfaction in Surveying and Construction
- We have one of the largest and oldest Psychology departments in the country, with more than 50 years of teaching experience.
- We are one of only two London universities whose accountancy and finance courses are accredited by five accountancy bodies, all of which offer exemptions from Fundamental level papers
- We are the largest early-years education provider in London
- Podiatry and Physiotherapy students receive 1,000-plus hours of clinical practice time before they graduate
|IELTS||Data not available|
|TOEFL||Data not available|
For admission requirements and intakes for each individual course/programme please refer to course details.
Courses available 320
- 8Accounting & Finance
- 26Applied, Pure Sciences
- 13Architecture, Building
- 8Business, Management
- 17Computer Science, IT
- 29Creative Arts & Design
- 53Education and Teaching
- 5English Language
- 39Health and Medicine
- 3Hotel Management & Hospitality
- 78Humanities & Social Sciences
- 20Mass Communication & Media
- 12Sports Science
Tuition and application fees
Data not available
Estimated tuition fees as reported by the institution.
|Application fee (local students)||Data not available|
|Application fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
|Student visa fee (foreign students)||Data not available|
Data not available
Average living cost in United Kingdom
The amount is indicated taking into account the average cost of food, accommodation, etc in United Kingdom for 2023
|Food||Data not available|
|Accommodation||Data not available|
|Others||Data not available|
Our waterfront Student Village is located at our Docklands campus and is home to more than 1,200 undergraduates and postgraduates. Accommodation is available to all UEL students, irrespective of whether you’re studying at Docklands or Stratford. A free bus service connects the two campuses.
Situated along the Royal Albert Dock, our comfortable, modern studios and shared flats enjoy commanding views over the Canary Wharf financial district, the O2 Arena and London City Airport.
Our on-campus accommodation includes:
- Private room with en-suite facilities
- Shared kitchen/dining area
- Fully furnished with bed, desk, chair, wardrobe, bookshelves
- Bedding pack to international students
- Well-equipped launderettes on campus
- 24/7 security
The University offers extensive support to students who opt for off-campus accommodation by providing information about private halls of residence, renting a room in a shared or family home, house or flat share with other tenants and homestay.
The Docklands Campus enjoys a stunning waterfront setting and is home to the student accommodation as well as the following Schools:
- School of Architecture, Computing and Engineering
- School of Arts and Digital Industries (excluding performing arts)
- School of Business and Law (Tourism, Hospitality, Events, Music Industry Management courses)
- School of Health, Sport and Bioscience (Sport courses).
- School of Social Sciences.
Located in the heart of Stratford, next door to the Olympic Park, the Stratford campus has been refurbished extensively to offer impressive new facilities. It is home to:
- Cass School of Education and Communities
- School of Health, Sport and Bioscience
- School of Psychology
- School of Business and Law (Business Management, Accounting and Finance, Economics and Marketing courses).
University Square Stratford
University Square Stratford (USS) is a new education hub in the centre of Stratford. A joint venture between UEL and Birkbeck, University of London, it provides a new campus for 3,400 students.
The campus, which opened in September 2013, is London’s newest and one of its most modern and well-equipped campus facilities. It provides a new home to UEL’s students studying on degrees including law and criminology, dance and performing arts and the MBA.
We have invested approximately £170 million in facilities in the past decade. Among the recent additions our £21 million SportsDock complex at our Docklands campus. The facilities are truly world-class and were used by Team USA as their training base before the London Olympics and Paralympics. It includes indoor and outdoor pitches and courts, dance and aerobic studios, a martial arts studio and a huge, super-modern gymnasium.
In 2013, we opened our £33 million University Square Stratford (USS) building in partnership with Birkbeck, University of London, as well as our new £14 million library at our existing Stratford campus.
Both of our campuses contain state-of-the art teaching facilities, including top-quality laboratories, superbly equipped computer suites and high-tech libraries open 24/7 in term time.
You will also have access to professional standard performance studios and workshops, a multimedia production centre, a clinical education centre and our renowned Knowledge Dock.
Our location, with two modern campuses stretching between the Royal Docks to the edge of the Olympic Park in Stratford, offers a unique environment for learning, teaching and applied research.
Data not available
|Undergraduate students||Data not available|
|Postgraduate students||Data not available|
|foreign students||Data not available|
International students wishing to pursue undergraduate programmes at UEL can apply through UCAS by specifying:
- Unique UCAS code for UEL, which is ELOND E28
- UCAS code for the course you are applying for. The codes are listed on the course webpages.
Alternatively, international students can apply directly to UEL by following the ‘apply’ link on the website.
International students wishing to pursue postgraduate taught courses (MA, MSc, MBA, Prof Doc) can apply directly to the university online.
How to apply for a research degree
Before you make your application, we strongly advise that you identify a UEL School and supervisor that matches your area of interest. Details of School staff and their research and supervisory interests can be found on the university’s website. Enquiries about research areas should be addressed to the
Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org .