About this course
This programme aims to nurture committed and skilled practitioners for the well-being of individuals with special needs, particularly in areas related to education and community empowerment. Students will learn about the types and characteristics of special needs, assessment and intervention approaches, the broader environmental, language and social contexts, as well as issues related to social inclusion, empowerment, and quality of life of individuals with special needs. The Programme will provide opportunities for students to gain practical experience in real work environments. Graduates will work with families, schools, and communities to effectively facilitate inclusion and enhance the quality of life for individuals with special education needs.
GCE AL / IAL with
- Grade D or above in 3 AL subjects; or
- Grade D in 2 AL plus 2 Advanced Supplementary Level (ASL) subjects. (
Not including Chinese / Mandarin / English Language subjects. The same subject cannot be counted at both the AL and ASL).
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Applicant should request the IB organization to send scores to the University (Institution Code: 004307).
SAT Reasoning Test
- A minimum total score of 1,190 (out of 1,600) in the new SAT Reasoning Test (including Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and Mathematics) / 1,650 (out of 2,400) in the old SAT Reasoning Test (including Critical Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) in one sitting.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- (MyBestTM Score is not accepted) Internet-based: 80; or
- Paper-based (prior to July 2017): 550; or
- Paper-delivered Test: Minimum score at the intermediate level in each section (Reading, Listening and Writing)
* Passing the TOEFL ITP does not satisfy the English language requirement.
- Overall Band: 6
- Grade E or above in GCE AS-level or A-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in IGCSE / GCE O-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in GCSE English or English Literature
- English A: Language and Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English A: Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Higher Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Standard Level) – Grade 5; or
- English Literature and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English Text and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4
- A sub-score of 8 in Essay Writing in old SAT; or
- 590 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing in new SAT
- Other English language qualifications deemed acceptable by the University.
Domain and Credit Points (cps)
Major, 54 credit points
- Major Interdisciplinary Course
Final Year Project, 6 credit points
- Research Methods
- Honours Project / Capstone Project
General Education, 22 credit points
- Foundation course
- Experiential Learning
- Breadth courses
- University ePortfolio
Language Enhancement, 9 credit points
Electives (including Second Major or Minors), 30 credit points
Total (minimum required cps for graduation): 121 credit points
Classes will be held in Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Study Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Study Centre / Sports Centre as decided by the University.