About this course
The Higher Diploma in Illustration aims to equip students with creative and effective illustration skills including critical and analytical thinking, graphic manipulation, visual expression and concept visualisation. Areas of studies include visual language and expression, narrative skills, concept visualisation, media art, illustration appreciation, lettering and typography, and visualisation skills such as drawing, painting and computer graphics. Areas of contextual studies will include cultural studies, professional practice and entrepreneurship. The programme also provides professional level training in the observation, exploration of communication methodology and visual interpretation.
The programme provides a broad educational experience with creativity, project management, interpersonal communication and team-building skills which match industry demands for flexible, articulate graduates who are able to compete in a dynamic, fast-paced and ever-changing regional creative environment.
This programme is designed with an emphasis on generic, language and communication training, whole-person development and workplace experience to better prepare students for further studies and employment after graduation.
- Applicants with academic qualifications obtained in secondary or tertiary institutions outside Hong Kong will be assessed individually by the departments concerned.
- IGCSE, GCE, International Baccalaureate (IB) or other overseas qualifications which are comparable with the required levels of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education will be accepted.
- IELTS overall score at 5 or equivalent
- English and Communication : Workplace Interaction
- Whole Person Development - MindShift: Achieving Personal Growth & Effectiveness
- Information Technology Essential - Smart Living
- Creative and Design Thinking
- Communication Design in Context : Illustration
- Communication Design Studio : Illustration
- Digital Illustration
- Studio : Editorial Illustration
- Workshop : Visual Language
- English and Communication : Workplace Correspondence
- Vocational Chinese Communication : Putonghua Conversation and Reports
- Whole Person Development -Collaboration, Teamwork & Social Engagement (Part 1)
- Cultural Studies
- Illustration Appreciation
- Lettering and Typography
- Studio : Narrative Illustration
- Workshop : Print
- English and Communication : Persuasive Presentations
- Whole Person Development - Collaboration, Teamwork & Social Engagement (Part 2)
- Aesthetics and Semiotics
- Studio : Concept Illustration
- Workshop : Life Drawing
- English and Communication : Reports
- Vocational Chinese Communication : Putonghua Presentations and Promotional Text Writing
- Communication Design Futures: Illustration
- Independent Study : Proposal
- Independent Study : Research
- Studio: Contemporary Illustration
- Workshop : Media Art
- Professional Practice: Illustration
- English and Communication : Promotional Materials
- Whole Person Development - Enhancing Competencies in the 21st Century Workplace
- Portfolio Development
- Graduation Project
Modules Across Semesters
- Industrial Attachment
Remark: Students have to complete the Enrichment Module in Semester 3.