Study and Work in Canada

By EasyUni Staff | Last modified 15 Nov 2019
Share this page with friends

Many potential students wonder: “Can I work while I am studying in Canada?” The answer is yes, but with some limitations and it depends on your particular case. The question is whether you want to work on campus, off campus, as an intern or even whether your spouse or law-partner wants to work. However, it depends on some issues. We recommend you to take necessary steps before you start working:

  • Firstly, it depends also on your university. In particular, your university has to meet certain criteria which are set up by the Immigration Office. Hence, you should ask your university beforehand if it meets these necessary requirements.
  • Read the current rules on the website of the Canadian Immigration Office.


Work on Campus

You may work on campus at your institution without a work permit if you’re either a full-time student at a public post-secondary institution such as a college or university, or a collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CEGEP) in Quebec or if you have a valid study permit.


Work off Campus

If you want to work off campus you need to apply for a work permit, which you find online on the Immigration Office’s website. It authorizes you to work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks. We recommend you not to start working until you have a work permit.


Work as a co-op or intern

  • You must have a valid study permit.
  • Your intended employment must be an essential part of your program of study in Canada.
  • Your employment must be part of your academic program, certified by a letter from a responsible academic official of the institution.
  • Your co-op or internship employment cannot form more than 50% of the total program of study.


Work after your graduation

The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).


Can your spouse work in Canada?

Once again it depends mostly on whether you are a full-time student or if you have a valid study permit. Is this the case, your spouse or common-law partner is allowed to work for the same period of time as your study permit. Accompanying spouses or common-law partners of foreign students are eligible for an open work permit, which means they do not need a job offer or a labor market opinion from Service Canada.

Posted on 09 Oct 2017
Study abroad