About this course
This programme aims to prepare qualified, competent, professional secondary science teachers capable of satisfying the educational needs of learners with different abilities within a community that values multiple aspects of intelligence. Graduates will have attained academic excellence and professional competence for effective teaching of science in schools. In particular, they will possess a solid command of science subject knowledge and skills together with a firm and thorough grasp of the interrelationship between theory and practice. They will persistently affirm the importance of scientific literacy in our society and will be creative, responsible, and caring individuals who have a solid understanding of science, technology, society, and environment, as well as commitment to ethical values.
GCE AL / IAL with
- Grade D or above in 3 AL subjects; or
- Grade D in 2 AL plus 2 Advanced Supplementary Level (ASL) subjects. (
Not including Chinese / Mandarin / English Language subjects. The same subject cannot be counted at both the AL and ASL).
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Applicant should request the IB organization to send scores to the University (Institution Code: 004307).
SAT Reasoning Test
- A minimum total score of 1,190 (out of 1,600) in the new SAT Reasoning Test (including Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and Mathematics) / 1,650 (out of 2,400) in the old SAT Reasoning Test (including Critical Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) in one sitting.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- (MyBestTM Score is not accepted) Internet-based: 80; or
- Paper-based (prior to July 2017): 550; or
- Paper-delivered Test: Minimum score at the intermediate level in each section (Reading, Listening and Writing)
* Passing the TOEFL ITP does not satisfy the English language requirement.
- Overall Band: 6
- Grade E or above in GCE AS-level or A-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in IGCSE / GCE O-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in GCSE English or English Literature
- English A: Language and Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English A: Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Higher Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Standard Level) – Grade 5; or
- English Literature and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English Text and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4
- A sub-score of 8 in Essay Writing in old SAT; or
- 590 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing in new SAT
- Other English language qualifications deemed acceptable by the University.
Domain and Credit Points (cps)
Major (Biology), 39 credit points
- Foundation and Major (Biology) Courses (36 cps)
- Interdisciplinary Course (3 cps)
Minor in Junior Secondary Science (JSS), 15 credit points
Electives, 15 credit points
- Free Electives (15 cps); or
- Second Minor (15 cps)
Education Studies, 30 credit points
- Generic (24 cps)
- Pedagogy for Major (6 cps)
General Education, 22 credit points
Final Year Project (Honours Project / Capstone Project), 6 credit points
Field Experience, 20 credit points
Language Enhancement, 9 credit points
Total: 156 credit points
Classes will be held in Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Study Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Study Centre / Sports Centre as decided by the University.