About this course
This programme aims to prepare students to become competent teachers of English for primary/secondary schools, or other English language related professionals. Graduates will obtain a high level of English proficiency and an ability to help pupils learn English effectively. Students will learn the English language system in depth, the principles and theories of teaching and learning with special reference to the teaching and learning of English as a second/foreign language. Students in the programme will conduct teaching practices in primary and secondary schools, and join an immersion programme in an English-speaking country.
GCE AL / IAL with
- Grade D or above in 3 AL subjects; or
- Grade D in 2 AL plus 2 Advanced Supplementary Level (ASL) subjects. (
Not including Chinese / Mandarin / English Language subjects. The same subject cannot be counted at both the AL and ASL).
International Baccalaureate Diploma
- Applicant should request the IB organization to send scores to the University (Institution Code: 004307).
SAT Reasoning Test
- A minimum total score of 1,190 (out of 1,600) in the new SAT Reasoning Test (including Evidence-Based Reading and Writing, and Mathematics) / 1,650 (out of 2,400) in the old SAT Reasoning Test (including Critical Reading, Writing, and Mathematics) in one sitting.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE REQUIREMENTS
- (MyBestTM Score is not accepted) Internet-based: 80; or
- Paper-based (prior to July 2017): 550; or
- Paper-delivered Test: Minimum score at the intermediate level in each section (Reading, Listening and Writing)
* Passing the TOEFL ITP does not satisfy the English language requirement.
- Overall Band: 6
- Grade E or above in GCE AS-level or A-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in IGCSE / GCE O-level English; or
- Grade C / Grade 4 or above in GCSE English or English Literature
- English A: Language and Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English A: Literature (Higher or Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Higher Level) – Grade 4; or
- English B (Standard Level) – Grade 5; or
- English Literature and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4; or
- English Text and Performance (Standard Level) – Grade 4
- A sub-score of 8 in Essay Writing in old SAT; or
- 590 in Evidence-Based Reading and Writing in new SAT
- Other English language qualifications deemed acceptable by the University.
Domain and Credit Points
Major, 75 credit points
- Discipline Studies (DS) Major (45 credit points)
- Education Major (27 credit points)
- Major Interdisciplinary Course (3 credit points)
Education Studies, 30 credit points
Final Year Project, 6 credit points
Field Experience, 20 credit points
General Education, 16 credit points
Language Enhancement, 9 credit points
Overseas Immersion Programme
- Credit points shared by DS Major Electives and Education Major Electives (equivalent to 15 credit points)
Total: 156 credit points
Note: Classes will be held in Tai Po Campus and Tseung Kwan O Study Centre / Kowloon Tong Satellite Study Centre / Sports Centre as decided by the University.